Churchs of Segorbe
Church of San Joaquín and Santa Ana
Solemnly blessed in 1695, the church is all that remains of the former monastery of the Order of Mercy. It features a single nave and chapels between the buttresses. This church is a prime example of Baroque exuberance in Segorbe for its rich Baroque decoration, the profusion of stucco carving, the ornamental motifs of leaves, rosettes, castles, cherubs and supporters of coat of arms, as well as the abundance and beauty of its sgrafitto. The exterior shows an interesting play of proportions and a fine facade-chapel flanked by the Bell Tower and a steep staircase that gives access to the church. Although the author is unknown, for style reasons the authorship could be attributed to Pérez Castiel and his assistants.
Church of the Franciscan Friars
Within this architectural development, the church is an outstanding example of historicist architecture of Neo-Gothic style whose splendour can still be seen during the 19th century and the early decades of the 20th century. The old Hospital and Casa de la Misericordia were built next to the church in the 18th century.
Church of Santa Maria
The parish church of Santa Maria is the only element preserved from the Dominican Friars’ old convent and school of San Pablo (17th century). Special attention should be given to the architectonic structure of the interior, with Latin cross plan, dome and galleries over the chapels, similar to those in the church of the Jesuits.
Church of San Pedro
Consecrated in 1247, it is the oldest religious building in Segorbe. The presbytery was added in the 16th century and the chapel of the Communion, in the 19th century. It hardly retains the original structure of the so-called «Reconquest churches», with barrel vaults and wooden sloping roof.
These 17th century buildings used to belong to the Order of the Jesuits until they were suppressed from Spain in 1771. School and residence are divided into a two double-wing area which overlooks the gardens. The axis is marked by a grand staircase crowned by a dome. Between it and the main facade, a double cloister and the church can be seen. This church is still remarkable, with a Latin cross plan, one nave and a platform over the chapels. The ensemble is dominated by a great dome, with its own light on the drum, and plenty of Baroque carving and sgrafitto.
The main facade matches the irregular street which emerged outside the town walls. The church front and the door to the street are outstanding in their sobriety. The linteled doorway is flanked by Corinthian columns, and an attic frames the great balcony.
Church of San Martín
Built in the 17th century, the church is part of the monastery of the Augustinian nuns established by the Bishop Ginés de Casanova. The church outstands for its sober beauty, a clear example of pre-Baroque classicism. This church has retained its altars on golden wooden carvings, as well as many of its paintings: works of Ribalta, Castañeda, Huerta, Bayuco and other Valencians of the 17th century amongst them. Visitors can also admire the old Gothic altarpiece of the nunnery dedicated to Saint Martin, by Jacomart-Rexach.